Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xtreme motor specifications

Motor shafts

I am glad that I found this thread. It saddens me to think that I will have to spend $40 on new motors because the aluminium threads on two of my EOX shafts cross-threaded and one of them broke when I was trying to thread the nut back on. My EOX suffered a particularly eventful crash that landed squarely on the front two motors, breaking one prop (the other flew away, I must not have had it properly screwed on) and causing damage to the threads of the shafts. If the shafts were replacement parts, that would be great! I could see spending $15 on a four pack of shafts and loosening the set screw to replace the ones that needed to be replaced. Maybe even sell a kit of four props, four prop nuts, four prop nut washers, and four motor shafts for $25, that would be a good deal!

2. Reason
    double post

Sorry to hear about your crash. The reason we don't sell just the shafts is because it's not only the set screw that holds it in place, but there is a special hardening agent that is also applied before installation and the set screw tightened down. This ensures no slippage and that the shaft is held securely in place. For the most part trying to remove one would cause damage and this is the reason we don't sell that piece alone.

Hope that helps bring a little understanding of why they aren't offered.

Regards,
    Jamie

I also had the same problem with the the threads but after a lot of wrenching I took it off and now I have a bare 2mm shaft for which I can add another type of mount (bullet/cone). I don't think I will take off another according to your reply. It still is a good motor though. On the other token another motor I bought as a replacement had a bent shaft which I replaced by buying another. Is this motor eligible for warranty repair or would it be possible for me to try and straighten it. I've had pretty good luck straightening nails but a 2mm hardened shaft is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by fmimages View Post
    I also had the same problem with the the threads but after a lot of wrenching I took it off and now I have a bare 2mm shaft for which I can add another type of mount (bullet/cone). I don't think I will take off another according to your reply. It still is a good motor though. On the other token another motor I bought as a replacement had a bent shaft which I replaced by buying another. Is this motor eligible for warranty repair or would it be possible for me to try and straighten it. I've had pretty good luck straightening nails but a 2mm hardened shaft is very different.
    Yes our products are covered should you receive and there be a manufacture defect.

Please open a support ticket and we will be happy to assist you in getting a replacement.

Here's a link to our support system.

http://support.rclogger.com

Regards,
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by fmimages View Post
    You don't need a lot of wrenching.

Get a small piece of some sheet metal, thin enough to fit in the space between the motor bell and the alloy hex. Cut a short slot in it to make a heat shield - the slot has to be wide enough to have the motor shaft pass through, and deep enough to cover the whole bell.

Then hold the metal horizontal with the motor slid along the slot, hex on top. Heat the hex with one of those little butane torches. The motor will probably drop out after 5-10sec (have a container with something soft in it ready to catch it when it does).

You need to be careful of the magnets - they will loose it above a relatively low temperature. I grabbed and held the motor bell immediately after doing this and it wasn't even warm - but I knew about the magnets and was EXTREMELY careful to only heat the hex part from about the middle end-wards.

This may not work if the steel shaft inside is also bent.