Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NovaX 350 Firmware 1.5 public release now available!

Quote Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
    Hey Frank,

Please read my posting above to Zimmy in regards to the X3 gimbal. The fact that yours isn't locking in is not an actual issue with anything you have performed but rather your gimbal is putting out lower offsets than other X3's which also isn't an issue to worry about. Once you engage the motors the gimbal calibration will stop and the X3 will fully engage and perform as usual.

In regards to your transmitter not making changes when flipping the flight mode switch would it be possible for you to shoot a short video going through the transmitter calibration process. The fact that you aren't getting it to switch flight modes is a pretty good indication that possibly something isn't quite right with the transmitter calibration.

Could you possibly perform again and ensure all switches are in the up position before performing the calibration and ensure you are turning the correct knob for channel 8.

Also now that you know the gimbal is okay, see if you can engage the motors with the Transmitter.

Regards,
    Jamie

Hi Jamie,

First and foremost, thank you very much for your dedication and efforts, I really appreciate this!

The next thing I have to do is a confession:

Concerning the topic not being able to switch through the flight modes, I simply made a mistake. And the mistake is so stupid, I shall post it here in public -> Me expert tried to switch the flight modes by using the RIGHT SWC-switch instead of the LEFT SWB-switch. The only thing I can come up with for an excuse is the fact that the other quadrocopters I frequently fly have their mode-switches on the RIGHT side, not the left...

Well anyway, problem solved -> My NovaX bravely switches through all the flight modes....if I only use switch SWB

As for the gimbal problem: As soon as I arm and start the motors, the gimbal works perfectly (just like Zimmy's)...

So overall, far less problems than I had originally assumed

Personally, like Zimmy, I also do not care too much about this "strange" gimbal behaviour. The only thing that is a bit nasty is, that I have to press the recording button of my camera while the props are rotating. I cannot reasonably do this earlier, because the gimbal is continuously rolling. OK, admittedly I could turn on the camera and start recording BEFORE I even power up the NovaX, but that it not really a perfect solution....

The blue and white gimbal wires are seated correctly, by the way, and I can also control the gimbal's tilt once I engage the motors and the gimbal stops its calibration process....

There are some questions that remain:

1) Why did the gimbal behave "normally" with the old firmware version? Is this calibration process a new feature that is needed for the upcoming "yellow" flight mode?
    2) Can this behaviour be fixed? If so, when will this be done?
    3) If I understood it correctly, the "yellow" flight mode, which is optimized for gimbal-flying will be available in the firmware 2.0 then?

Ok, so far, so good.

I am glad everything is fine and working.

Jamie, please forgive the confusion and trouble my stupidness may have caused!

Grettings,

Frank
    Last edited by jlcamp7; 13.11.2015 at 07:32.

Hey Frank,

No need to apologize whatsoever. I am guilty of having those types of moments all the time. lol

I am glad to hear that you're unit is up and flying.

All X3 gimbals now do this with the firmware update as it calculates out values and compensates for any interference. Basically an added safety feature to the unit. You will actually find a number of other well known companies that have also implemented this same type of procedure.

As for your unit you are safe to fly and everything should be good to go.

Regards,
    Jamie
    Last edited by jlcamp7; 13.11.2015 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by lordfw3 View Post
    Hi Jamie,

Personally, like Zimmy, I also do not care too much about this "strange" gimbal behaviour. The only thing that is a bit nasty is, that I have to press the recording button of my camera while the props are rotating. I cannot reasonably do this earlier, because the gimbal is continuously rolling. OK, admittedly I could turn on the camera and start recording BEFORE I even power up the NovaX, but that it not really a perfect solution....

The blue and white gimbal wires are seated correctly, by the way, and I can also control the gimbal's tilt once I engage the motors and the gimbal stops its calibration process....

There are some questions that remain:

1) Why did the gimbal behave "normally" with the old firmware version? Is this calibration process a new feature that is needed for the upcoming "yellow" flight mode?
    2) Can this behaviour be fixed? If so, when will this be done?
    3) If I understood it correctly, the "yellow" flight mode, which is optimized for gimbal-flying will be available in the firmware 2.0 then?

Ok, so far, so good.

I am glad everything is fine and working.

Jamie, please forgive the confusion and trouble my stupidness may have caused!

Grettings,

Frank
    Hi Frank
    I have found that if I shut the motors off the gimbal does not start the rolling again so if you start the motors then stop them then you can start the camera. :-)
    hope this helps.

Hi Jamie
    thanks for the great explanation on the issue I am sure you will come up with a fix in the future. have a great day
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1958 View Post
    Hi Frank
    I have found that if I shut the motors off the gimbal does not start the rolling again so if you start the motors then stop them then you can start the camera. :-)
    hope this helps.
    Hi Zimmy,

thanks for the hint, you are correct! The infinite gimbal roll occurs only during/after the initial boot sequence. If I start and stop motors again, the gimbal keeps still..

@RC-Logger: Is there a specific reason why our gimbals did NOT show this behaviour with the first firmware? Just interested in the technical background....

Thanks and greetings,

Frank

Hi Zimmy,

thanks for the hint, you are correct! The infinite gimbal roll occurs only during/after the initial boot sequence. If I start and stop motors again, the gimbal keeps still..

@RC-Logger: Is there a specific reason why our gimbals did NOT show this behaviour with the first firmware? Just interested in the technical background....

Thanks and greetings,

Frank
    Hey Frank,

This wasn't implemented in previous firmware.

Essentially different gimbals show different values in magnetic interference (this is common). We discovered that the values on some X3 gimbals were higher than others witch caused magentic interference with the NovaX itself causing a toilet bowl effect.

This new gimbal calibration is essentially taking in data and adjusting the unit to understand the offsets being received from the X3 gimbal and compensating accordingly.

In all of our testing with multiple gimbals we haven't had any not initialize. This of course doesn't mean that there is any issues with either of your gimbals, but rather that the values that your units are producing low enough numbers that the NovaX isn't recognizing interference to compensate before and that is why it isn't initializing on it's own.

Hope that helps clarify.

If you'd be interested in a gimbal that will initialize just open a support ticket with us and I'm sure we can exchange your unit.

support.rclogger.com

Regards,
    Jamie

Hey Frank,

This wasn't implemented in previous firmware.

Essentially different gimbals show different values in magnetic interference (this is common). We discovered that the values on some X3 gimbals were higher than others witch caused magentic interference with the NovaX itself causing a toilet bowl effect.

This new gimbal calibration is essentially taking in data and adjusting the unit to understand the offsets being received from the X3 gimbal and compensating accordingly.

In all of our testing with multiple gimbals we haven't had any not initialize. This of course doesn't mean that there is any issues with either of your gimbals, but rather that the values that your units are producing low enough numbers that the NovaX isn't recognizing interference to compensate before and that is why it isn't initializing on it's own.

Hope that helps clarify.

If you'd be interested in a gimbal that will initialize just open a support ticket with us and I'm sure we can exchange your unit.

support.rclogger.com

Regards,
    Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the feedback, everything understood and clear now...

Basically, I am not really keen on sending my gimbal back and waiting for a new one...
    I am only wondering: The fact that my gimbal does NOT initialize into the "yellow" mode automatically upon boot-up, does this mean that I will NOT be able to enable the yellow mode later with the updated app?

IF SO, I might change my mind and have the gimbal exchanged.
    If NOT so and I can make FULL USE of the yellow, gimbal optimized mode once it is implemented in the app, I would rather keep my gimbal..

Can you provide some information concerning this, please?

And I have also another question: If I understood your correctly, all gimbals produce certain off-set values, representing some sort of electro-magnetic interferences. If those values are too high, there is a potential risk for the gimbal to interfere with the compass. In order to compensate for this, the calibration procedure detects the values and compensates for them, right?

You furthermore stated that my (and Zimmy's) gimbal did not initialize correctly because the detected values were TOO LOW.

-> Doesn't this mean that our gimbals produce LESS electro-magnetic interferences than other, whose values are higher?
    -> If this is the case, then BASICALLY I would consider this a good thing, no?

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks and greetings,

Frank
    Last edited by lordfw3; 13.11.2015 at 02:43.

You furthermore stated that my (and Zimmy's) gimbal did not initialize correctly because the detected values were TOO LOW.

-> Doesn't this mean that our gimbals produce LESS electro-magnetic interferences than other, whose values are higher?
    -> If this is the case, then BASICALLY I would consider this a good thing, no?

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks and greetings,

Frank
    Hi Frank,

The long and short is that if the gimbal calibration is not detected by the Nova then there is no need for any additional compensation measures. This is totally acceptable. It actually does not have anything to do with too much or to little interference. If you don't notice any unwanted behaviors while flying, then please continue to use your product as you wish. So, yes. This is a good thing

I do not see any reason for there to be a replacement gimbal needed in this case.

Once the app is released there will be an option for you to toggle the "gimbal flying mode" on/off - I am not sure the exact nomenclature that will be used via the app at this point.

Hope that helps set any concerns you may have had at rest.

Regards,

Adam
    Go big, fly hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.RCLogger View Post
    Hi Frank,

The long and short is that if the gimbal calibration is not detected by the Nova then there is no need for any additional compensation measures. This is totally acceptable. It actually does not have anything to do with too much or to little interference. If you don't notice any unwanted behaviors while flying, then please continue to use your product as you wish. So, yes. This is a good thing

I do not see any reason for there to be a replacement gimbal needed in this case.

Once the app is released there will be an option for you to toggle the "gimbal flying mode" on/off - I am not sure the exact nomenclature that will be used via the app at this point.

Hope that helps set any concerns you may have had at rest.

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam,

thanks for your feedback.

I am tranquilized to hear that my gimbal is not defective and that I may use it as normal, that's great news!

I have one question left for now:
    If I understand you correctly, I will be able to use the "yellow" mode with the new app as normal (as others already do at the moment) and I can activate and deactivate this feature with my gimbal as well, right?

What about the option to modify the app in a way that would allow my (or Zimmy's) gimbal to initalize in a more "normal" way, so that we won't have to start the motors first before the gimbal comes to a stop from its infinite initialization attempt? I assume this would be doable?

Thanks for your efforts and dedication (to the whole team at RC-Logger)!

Greetings,

Frank
    Last edited by lordfw3; 13.11.2015 at 22:37.

Hey Frank,

We will be having continued discussions on this type of implementation.

Hope you enjoy the new features and 2.0 isn't too far away.

Hey Frank,

We will be having continued discussions on this type of implementation.

Hope you enjoy the new features and 2.0 isn't too far away.
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the feedback.

Keep us posted, I will enjoy the new 1.5 feature until then!

Greetings,

Frank