Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xtreme V2?

Chris might have more data on the protocol. I have been a part of of these discussions with our development team, but haven't yet heard a definite of the finalized protocol. We are working on finalizing all details. Ultimately we would like to keep it in the "family" but also are looking at some new options and technology as well.

There are definitely some exciting things ahead.

The all new EOX EVO 2.4 GHz transmitter is still in development. Features and specifications are not fully finalized at this point of time. We are looking into all possibilities in terms of potential protocol compatibility with the current R8 radio system. We may however decide to go a different path depending on aspects like overall cost and functionality. There is a chance that the existing R8 radio can be used. I would say it is at least 50/50 as of now.

On a good note, the Xtreme Evolution has a PPM port available, thus users can use the R8 system. Users will just need to attach the included receiver that comes with the R8 radio system onto the EOX EVO. RCL provides a PPM port from the Xtreme V1 onwards, including the NovaX and Navigator as well as the new EOX EVO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

Several things,

Yes, lights in the landing gear is very cool! Will be great for orientation(so will the prop guards).
    FPV and TX with monitor is essential. I personally don't understand why people want to fly upside down so inversion
    is something that never was a deal maker/breaker for me. Maybe I'm missing something there.
    With respect to transmitters and protocol compatibility, something I know very little about, it seems to me that if the R8
    can be used with PPM even if you change the protocol then my Flysky should work too. With the appropriate Rx of course.
    So why is protocol change an issue? Saijin , I know you're reading this and you are far more knowledgeable about this. I'm curious as to what I'm not getting since you're concerned about this.

Thanks everybody,
    Jim

Oh...I forgot to mention. With respect to GPS please at the very least have a GPS return to home function. This may not be an issue to good pilots but I sure need it.

Best,
    Jim

Hey Jim,

With the PPM port included in the Xtreme EVO then yes any Transmitter protocol can be used as long as that protocol has a PPM receiver available for it. The thing is if it works with our current protocol then there's no need to find placement for a separate receiver if using our R8 radio system, whereas if not then it will require installing a receiver, no big deal of course, but just something that will need to be mounted on the air craft.

The new radio design for the EOX EVO is actually a really nice design and should be a very useable radio with the drone as well.

In regards to GPS this model will not have GPS due to a few constraints:
    -Cost
    -Vastly increases size of design due to needing to mount the GPS in a separate location away from other electronics
    -added weight

Essentially with the EOX EVO we are wanting to offer a product that has unique/cutting edge features while still being in a lower price range for the market (just like the original Xtreme). It will offer a lot for it's attractive pricing.

You'll find that GPS is only found in more expensive models and there is a reason for that. It's just a completely different level of design, integration, development and so forth.

If interested in the 200-250 class flyer with GPS then the RC EYE Navigator is definitely the way to go.

I hope that answers your questions Jim.

Regards,
    Jamie

Maybe we should consider a GPS module that is detachable. Simple plug & connect - something to upgrade. I somehow like the idea and might even get our dev team to look into this possibility much deeper. It's like installing a GPS module onto a camera. Would do you guys think; useless or worth the effort? Wouldn't it add a certain uniqueness and difference to the EVO?

I attached a sample image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25396_GP-1-GPS-Unit_front.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	2305  
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

If a GPS module would give the EOXE return to home capability you have to consider it. GPS is now available on many $200- $300
    dollar range quads. I admit some are not going to be in the same quality class as an RCL quad but this is a feature that people are looking for. I don't know the price point of the EOXE and I understand you don't want to cut into your own product line by offering a
    Navigator 'junior' but the market is starting to shake out in a way where intermediate level people from various demographics know what they want. When you first introduced the EOX with brushless motors for $129 it changed everything. Do it again with GPS.
    It doesn't have to be anything fancy with mapping out routes and tricks. Just a basic solid platform that will get the quad home.
    'Return to Home' is the buzz word in the market as much as FPV. As people like me learn more and invest more in better equipment
    the thought of losing or crashing the device ....AGAIN....becomes more frustrating when just a button or switch on the TX could have saved the day.

Thanks for listening,
    Jim

Hey Jim,

Certainly we understand the importance of GPS for drones. We are visiting the idea with our developing team and will do some research on the possibility with an add on module as Chris presented above.

We are just trying to ride those "magical" lines of: weight, performance, power, flight times & durability. So many things come into play.

But rest assured we are looking at the possibility and have already began discussion.

Regards,
    Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I know all of you are doing the best you can to make the EOXE as good as it can be. I'll stop bothering you now and let you get back to work so you can get it on the market......lol. Thanks for all your help from day one.

Best,

JimW

Hey Jim,

No worries and definitely don't ever feel like your bothering us. We are glad to have you man and always like to have open communication with our customers. We try to take seriously any and everything presented to us from you guys. Many of the changes we make and accessories we create come from our closeness to our community of owners. So don't worry you're not a bother at all.

And we are always here to help or just shoot the breeze.

Have a great one!

Jamie