Thread: Lipo volt meter and EOS battery

Lipo volt meter and EOS battery

Hi Jamie and Saijin,

I bought a Lipo Safe bag and two volt meters came with it. I got it on Amazon and the volt meters
    are the common type with a low voltage alarm and able to test 1S to 8S batteries. They are sold under a variety of different names. It works with my 1S toy quad batteries but when I plug in the EOS batteries it does weird things.
    It recognizes the battery as 3S instead of 2S. It will display ....3cE....All 3.16....No1 4.15...No2 0.00.....No3 3.15
    I believe its saying total voltage 3.16, cell 1 4.15 , cell 2 is empty, and cell 3 has 3.15 volts. I think it has something to do with the connector.
    I tried it with my EOX battery using a connector I got from RC Connectors awhile ago that has a black(ground) wire and two red wires that can be used to power lights (or whatever you want) off the main battery. I touch those wires to the meter and it only picks up one cell with one of the red wires. The other red wire does nothing. (I discovered you also have to be careful to avoid...sparks and smoke).
    I think you use proprietary connectors that do not easily work like most others. Any solutions?
    Hope all is well,

Jim

Idea

Hi Jim.

You cannot use a standard LiPo check with the Xtreme battery. LiPo checkers are designed to be connected to the balancing connector of standard LiPo "S" configurations. The Xtreme battery is NOT a standard wire connection. In fact, the Xtreme battery is actually 2x1 cells => Two individual cells with no connection between each other whatsoever.

Connecting a standard LiPo voltage checker with the Xtreme battery could damage the battery checker and seriously harm your battery!!

Usually a LiPo battery checker is connected to the balancing port of a 2S or greater battery. But not against the main power output connectors. The EOX battery does not require any balancing connector since it is in fact a 2X1 Cell and not a standard 2S battery. A standard balancing connector has a common ground pin and the remaining pins each represent one cell. So a 2S battery has a balancing plug with three pins, a 3S has four pins and a 4S has five pins and so on. They all have one common ground, usually a black wire. Besides the balancing plug standard batteries include the main output, usually a red and black wire - 2 wires. Not 4 like the EOX.

In simple terms, do not use the balance checker together with the EOX battery!

P.S.: The NovaX and Navigator as well as the future TWIST use standard LiPo type batteries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-lipotester_0.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	2304  
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

Thank you Chris,
    You explained alot. Maybe you could use
    standard type batteries with balance connector with the V2. Just a thought..

Best,
    Jim

Hi Jim.

Appreciate your reply.

We will for sure improve the battery handling on the EOX V2. Actually the name is going to be "Xtreme Evolution". The V1 battery connection and solution is not the most convenient way, I agree. It has advantages such as the simplicity of using a 5V USB power source. That is the reason why we split into two single cells, allowing us to utilize USB port 5V voltage. For existing hobbyists this may not be the best choice of battery connection and handling, in contrast, it still performs well for the average consumer. It is hard to find a solution for both, hobbyists and consumers alike.

Based on community feedback we know that this is an area of concern that needs to be improved. We will certainly improve in one way or another. We do have some ideas
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

I check the voltage of the two cells in the EOX pack with my multimeter. Red probe to red wire of one cell, black probe to black wire of the same cell, note the voltage, repeat for the other pack/pair of wires. Just take your time carefully and you're fine.

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the explanation about battery decision. That makes sense considering the market you were trying to reach. It worked! A year ago I had no idea about brushless, Tx, Rx, PPM, setting endpoints, etc. Last year at this time I had never flown anything before at all.
    (Not RC , I flew a real Cessna once)
    Hi Saijin,
    My multimeter arrives tomorrow. Thanks.

Jim

Jim,
    You've got it buddy. Have fun! Also, let me know what voltage your RCLogger charger charges the packs to.

Hi Saijin,

Finally had a chance to analyze the batteries. Fresh full charge is 8.3 volts. I measured on batteries sitting for 5 days or so and they are about 8.24. there is variation between batteries and meter readings.
    Voltage after flying until lights first start to blink seems to be when it goes below 7.4. I'm looking at 7.3, 7.2.
    Continued flying until drop out of sky occurs at about 6.8.
    These are EOX 1150's charged with the USB chargers. Summary, above 8 your fine, 7.4 better land (quickly, you have 30 seconds at best), below 7 hope nothing broke. Lol.

Jim

Okay, looks like your RCL USB charger is slightly under-charging the packs like mine is and terminating before the normal 4.2v per cell.

Thanks