Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POI - Arriving soon with a new FW/App release.

POI - Arriving soon with a new FW/App release.

Hi guys.

POI (point of interest) is about to arrive with the NovaX 350 platform. The new iOS and Android App along with the new NovaX firmware has been released internally for final function testing. All NovaX units produced including the plus and standard version are able to apply this free upgrade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-27-21-33-26.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	2329

Stay tuned for an official release announcement within this October. In case you guys have any questions, just go ahead and ask them here.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

What other features are with the firmware update ?

The main focus is in fact as very well adjusted POI feature. Other than POI nothing of significance has been added. We will be releasing a detailed change-log as soon as the firmware is ready for the public. "Follow-Me" function will be introduced with the following release version.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

I am pleased that there will soon be a new software and I can not wait. Winter is coming soon, and then pause until spring...

So excited to get released to everyone. It's really a great feature and functions beautifully.

I guess Jamie must have been testing it extensively the past few days. Glad you like it. The wait is almost over
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

Question - will the upcoming to be released follow me capability function with the Nova X following the R8? Will this follow me function integrate barometric readings to allow for incline and declines in terrain...probably not enough sensors onboard to be that intelligent. I assume that follow me altitude management will rely on barometric pressure reading as determined upon powerup sequence, so theoretically the quad could fly into the ground if initiated at the base of a steep incline and the pilot rapidly climbs the incline? Yes or no. Some common sense pilot intervention might be required in these atypical scenarios. I am also curious if follow me could utilize full forward speed capability of aprox. 60MPH perhaps to catch car drifting action or motorcycle riding across dessert as for examples? Just wondering, not trying to be argumentative.

Regards,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by FlyaDrone View Post
    Question - will the upcoming to be released follow me capability function with the Nova X following the R8? Will this follow me function integrate barometric readings to allow for incline and declines in terrain...probably not enough sensors onboard to be that intelligent. I assume that follow me altitude management will rely on barometric pressure reading as determined upon powerup sequence, so theoretically the quad could fly into the ground if initiated at the base of a steep incline and the pilot rapidly climbs the incline? Yes or no. Some common sense pilot intervention might be required in these atypical scenarios. I am also curious if follow me could utilize full forward speed capability of aprox. 60MPH perhaps to catch car drifting action or motorcycle riding across dessert as for examples? Just wondering, not trying to be argumentative.

Regards,
    Michael
    Hi Michael.

The Follow-Me function will either make it into this release or just shortly afterwards. We are already working on the App/Firmware concerning Follow-Me as well. Important is that before we release any new feature that these are fully function and safety tested in an real flight scenario. The POI tests are scheduled for conclusion by end of this week. Thus far we have not encountered any issues or bugs of significance with this new version. The release is on track.

We can delay the release and include Follow-Me as well, so that there is just one release instead of two? What would you guys prefer, split into two release versions or just one version with a delay of about 3 - 4 weeks until we are able to release it?

The Follow-Me functions technically spoken follows your cellphone/tablet, not the R8. This is because your cellphone/tablet knows its position because of GPS (location service must be on on your device). But, since the R8 and the cellphone/tablet must be in close Bluetooth range with each other, you are correct to say that the Follow-Me function follows the R8 - where it actually takes the location information from your cellphone or tablet.

Yes correct, there is no collision avoidance included in the NovaX as of now. Thus the pilot needs to operate the unit in a safe flying environment. Pilots can at any time take full control over the NovaX while in flight, even during TPCS, POI, or Follow-Me flights.

Speed is certainly a value that will be playing an important part. Even for POI such parameter is available in the App. A speed value will also be implemented for Follow-me.

Hope I could answer most of your question
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

Chris,

You have absolutely answered my question(s). My one vote is to have one release, even though the penalty is 3-4 weeks. That would permit time for additional testing and input to evaluate from your inflight team. I would water down my vote due to the fact that I have only had the Nova X (my 1st ever drone) for 1 week and have spent about 3 hours so far trying to get my PC to allow the R8 to upgrade through port 10 which is what gets assigned to the USB/UART. So my inability to even be at the latest rev for my R8 is hampered at this point. I am working with Jamie to get this issue addressed.

BTW - I am very grateful for you posting several of your flying demonstrations, esp the Nova X flying in LA at a very quick pace for the most part. Not to mention the Twist demo flight at the recent technology show in Germany.

Question: How long have you been flying quads? And did you have any RC aircraft experience prior to learning to fly quads?

Thanks for all of the efforts that you and the rest of your RC Logger development and support team provide to all of your customers.

THX - Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MatLi View Post
    Hi Michael.

The Follow-Me function will either make it into this release or just shortly afterwards. We are already working on the App/Firmware concerning Follow-Me as well. Important is that before we release any new feature that these are fully function and safety tested in an real flight scenario. The POI tests are scheduled for conclusion by end of this week. Thus far we have not encountered any issues or bugs of significance with this new version. The release is on track.

We can delay the release and include Follow-Me as well, so that there is just one release instead of two? What would you guys prefer, split into two release versions or just one version with a delay of about 3 - 4 weeks until we are able to release it?

The Follow-Me functions technically spoken follows your cellphone/tablet, not the R8. This is because your cellphone/tablet knows its position because of GPS (location service must be on on your device). But, since the R8 and the cellphone/tablet must be in close Bluetooth range with each other, you are correct to say that the Follow-Me function follows the R8 - where it actually takes the location information from your cellphone or tablet.

Yes correct, there is no collision avoidance included in the NovaX as of now. Thus the pilot needs to operate the unit in a safe flying environment. Pilots can at any time take full control over the NovaX while in flight, even during TPCS, POI, or Follow-Me flights.

Speed is certainly a value that will be playing an important part. Even for POI such parameter is available in the App. A speed value will also be implemented for Follow-me.

Hope I could answer most of your question

I would vote for two separate releases, sounds like the POI is nearly ready to go but the follow me isn't which could mean more than a 3/4 week delay. There is no reason to merge them in my eyes, release them individually and let people use them

Thanks

Ian