Thread: R8 firmware upgrade CONTINUED FAILURE

Dislike R8 firmware upgrade CONTINUED FAILURE

To All of those who have provided me with suggestions - Thank you! I assure you that I have tried all suggestions provided from this forum and RCGroups NovaX 350 members too.
    I have been working on this since Saturday - 6 DAYS NOW, and about 11-12 hours total so far.
    A couple of suggestions even provided by super moderator - Jamie
    Yes there is a service ticket opened (2 in fact).

I have tried changing com port names from 3 to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 & 10

I have uninstalled the Asus Win PC 7 64 bit Pro USB to UART driver and installed the latest Silicon Laboratories CP210x USB to UART driver version 6.7.0.0 dated 3/19/2014 Digital Signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

My PC Device Manager states driver is latest version and troubleshooter states no problems found - hardware working properly. So why is your app not working? When set to com3 it starts for about 3 seconds and then gives this message - Ugrade in progress... Connection failed. And yes the red led in the USB dongle is lit up too.

So far I have determined that RC Logger knows that this is a problem as per their support staff acknowledgements and suggestions in several problem threads posted here and on the RCGroups forum - HOWEVER RC Logger support has NOT provided a version of their R8 uploader that works across all platforms. In fact I have even tried the version 1.1.1 released in the early morning and the one released in the afternoon MULTIPLE times!

The advice that I have received from RC Logger so far is 1. Make sure the plug on the R8 is all the way in 2. Try plugging in the USB port first. Neither of these suggestions worked.

I need to get a fix for this sooner than later! Flying such a sophisticated product with a timer in your pocket for battery management is such a poor second rate solution.

Regards - Michael = not a happy camper = wasting my time trying to get your app to work.

Hi Michael.

The firmware upgrade for the R8 does not prevent you from continuing to fly the NovaX or Navigator. It adds a second telemetry page. But I guess you are aware of that Certainly we all want the upgrade procedure to work for you just as it did for many other users without concerns. So we need to take it step by step. What would come to my mind is that:

- Why would we conclude it is related to the PC or the updater software (you refer to as App)?

It could well be that either the provided cable, unless you used it previously, itself or the R8 connection port is for some reason not working. What I am trying to say is that there are several options to look at. Now how do we actually get started? Obviously we would recommend the most common issues we are aware of from the past, those leading to success. So there shouldn't be anything wrong with this approach. Now, I agree, this does not seam to solve your concern, the questions is what does come next:

- Computer (Hardware, driver, etc) issue?
    - Cable (Defective?) issue?
    - R8 (Socket defective perhaps?) issue?
    - Procedure issue?

How about we make things a bit easier for you. We ship you a tested R8 with the latest R8 firmware installed and confirmed that both, the R8 itself as well as the cable required for the upgrade actually work well - voila - case should be closed. After that we would like to get your original R8 back, including the cable, for our internal checking. We'll update you with our findings.

I believe you really did a very good job concerning troubleshooting, now let us reduce your frustration by sending you a new tested R8 with cable. In case not already done, please provide your shipping details and enter the details to the last support ticket Jamie is handling. Until then, just continue to fly the NovaX since the NovaX itself is not affected by this issue.

I'll coordinate the efforts for you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

Chris,
    This is a most awesome reply and support! Yes I do know that I have full configuration and flight capability as is. I am not impressed with having to fly the quad with a timer in my pocket to manage battery life. It is also very possible tat each or one component of the configuration is the culprit. But as you have already surmised I am not capable of trouble shooting any of the hardware components in this situation. And I have done all that I can to provide an up to date and stable PC with proper driver. Why do I target driver up load app? because it is has been known and reported to be inconsistent in its ability to fulfill the download as reported by several others in the past. I am sending you a PM with my ship to information.

In the mean time I have an 11 year old Compaq PC with Win XP on it that I can try to get the upgrade working. However I will continue to search for a fix as future upgrades will persist. But at least you will have the hardware components to look at and rule out any hardware issues. I doubt hardware is the problem as Windows has know USB / UART issues with some implementations esp. Dell PC's

THX - Michael

Hi Michael.

Looks like the case is closed based on this post. Glad to read that all is fine and eventually you are able to perform the upgrade as it should.

Enjoy your NovaX and the new added telemetry features
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)