Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RC EYE One Xtreme Thread.

Do you guys have an idea of the price range? Also, what size lipo are you guys planning on using? In my experience quads can become difficult in orientation and the easiest way for me to identify the quad is with black and white contrast. I do like the way it looks with black and red but I would definitely buy/upgrade to white in the front if I was given the option. If I had I had it my way, blades, motor mount/legs and possibly the front booms would be white. When my mqx gets away I give it a couple of aggressive tilts and I can usually pic up on the white blades and bring it back tail in when Im in a bind. I have the helimax 1SQ and its difficult for me to pick up on the orange front blades, even at close to medium distances.

Can you fly this one inside?

And a couple of other questions. I am contemplating Eye One versus Eye One Extreme. My main reservation with the Eye One is the brushed motors. Have there been problems with them wearing out fairly quickly? Another concern is durability. Is Extreme more subject to damage because of it's greater weight? Lastly, is the extreme, with it's greater weight, a smoother flyer? Are the extreme's beginner and sport modes similar to the Eye One (I'm new to rotors-flown planes before-and suspect I'll spend a lot of time in beginner mode).

Thanks for any feedback.

I can't answer all of those questions since the extreme isn't in hands of the general public, but I can answer a few regarding the EYE One. The EYE One is an awesome flyer and I would highly recommend it as a beginner quad that can also grow with you. The three modes available are fantastic for moving from one level to the next. The pro mode is just insane and absolutely the most fun I've had with a micro quad period.

I have yet to hear of anyone having motors go out on them unless crashes are involved. Even then I've had quite a few tumbles with mine(as have many others) and have had zero issues. A lot of time brushed motors get a bad rap. Especially in the world of micro planes/heilcopters/quads and that's mainly because over the last few years many of them have used motors that were originally pager motors. They had all kinds of variables and weren't really made for rc equipment. Because of that they have been kind of inconsistent. Some having no issues for many flights, others having issues after the first few flights. There are a few key things to be noted regarding the EYE One. First off these are correct DC brushed motors. That means they use true brushes whereas most if not all other micro quads are using the cheaper stamped out copper finger motors. Secondly the'yre running on 2s. This is a huge difference in this quad compared to the others, because this allows the quad to run at much lower RPM's, which translates to cooler motors, less wear and longer lifespan. So ultimately don't let the brushed motors deter you.

Anytime you start getting into more mass then it's always going to effect crashability. I have had some really hard hits with my micro quads that have caused no damage and had the same type of hits with larger quads that have caused decent damage. It's just the laws of gravity/impact. So I would say the extreme probably is more subject to damage, but as you already mentioned it would be due to the larger size/weight.

Extra weight many times does translate to being more "smooth" in the air. Usually for me personally it gives the craft more substance when flying around. Although I can't comment on the extreme, I will say that the EYE One is extremely smooth in the air. The smoothest I have flown to date and is a part of why I love it so much. It's smooth as silk as they say.

As for indoor flight, just about anything can be flown indoors, but doesn't necessarily mean it should be. lol. I'm sure it won't be a problem, but of course size does effect that. I've flown my 250 size quad in the house, but essentially due to size and power it was really more of just hovering around in the living room, whereas the EYE One I fly all over the house. It's size is perfect for indoor use. So essentially the smaller the quad usually the more maneuvarable in smaller spaces. Just a guess based on size but the extreme can be flown indoors, but I wouldn't necessarily put it as an advertisement on the box so to speak. And for a beginner I definitely wouldn't recommend starting inside in close quarters as though spinning blades can cause serious damage and harm.

I'm sure you're looking for other inputs from ones like Matt and Chris who have personally flown it and have much more knowledge due to being connected to the company, but as just a buyer those are a few points I figured I could hit on.

Ultimately, if possible I would go ahead and pick up the EYE One. You really can't go wrong. It's the best micro quad on the market in my humble opinion. It will be a great quad for you as a beginner and once you are comfortable with it then move up to the larger extreme. It won't be available for a few more months so you have time to do like I am and save up for it.

Gee, thanks for info. So I now think I should buy Eye One. However, I'd like to wait until the new legs are available and the upgradable units come out. Maybe Mat or Chris can fill us in on that.

Jeff

Just wanted to let you know what I think about these brushed motors. I've put a lot of hours on my Eye One now and the motors are as good as the day I got it. For this size quad I feel this is the best set up. I've also been flying with a key chain camera on it and you can't tell any difference.

I got some footage from ces, not the best camera skills, and uploading now.

Excellent looking forward to it.

Footage

Last edited by zippy; 12.01.2013 at 14:23.