Thread: Be careful of wind/gusts

Be careful of wind/gusts

Unfortunately, today was a sad and pricey lesson.
    I got an x4 last month as my first quad. Loved its performance, but it was so fragile (1 inverted crash killed the motors).

I ordered my RCE1 from RC-drones last week and just got it today. 1st flight a prop came off. Second flight I was up high and it decided to get windy/gusty. I was in sport mode, but it just did not have enough power to combat the wind and it wouldn't come down. It eventually got pushed out of range and fell out of the sky. My luck, couldn't find it and I think it landed in the ocean. What a bummer. I was so excited to get this thing and gain more quad experience before upgrading to something bigger.

It's hard to guess how strong the gusts were, but full controls in sport mode could not overcome the wind. I wish modes could be switched from the controller because I am sure expert mode could get enough thrust to overcome the wind.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your EYE One is lost. May I suggest while learning how a new product responds to natural conditions that next time you steer clear of water. It's a real bummer your unit is lost. I have been there a time or two in my days as well.

While the new and improved S version has a mode switch on the Tx the end user will still need the platform on the ground to toggle between modes. It is very difficult to make the on board gyro system switch modes while in the air as unwanted tendencies can occur. Thus for safety reason this cannot be done.

You are correct regarding the expert mode of the EYE One. I personally have flown my RC EYE in 15+ mph winds. Perhaps should you decide to purchase another unit and fly at your previous location this mode would be better suited.

Regards,

Adam
    Go big, fly hard.

Quote Originally Posted by trr56 View Post
    I wish modes could be switched from the controller because I am sure expert mode could get enough thrust to overcome the wind.
    Additionally to what Adam wrote, switching flight modes during flight could be very risky as it might result in users, who are not prepared or ready for it, to accidentally switch the mode and crash as a result. You would need to limit this function for sport and expert modes.

As Adam mentioned, with the new "S" version, users will have to land for a short moment to switch modes directly from the remote control in order to allow the gyros to "understand" their condition and to prevent users from crashing. We have been giving this a lot of thought and implemented the possibly best solution into the new "S" version. What I like most is that the transmitter now remembers your last used flight mode and retains it for the following flights.

The "S" version has around 20 - 25% increased power output in sport mode, this help significantly against sudden gusty winds. Overall, the "One" and "One S" clearly outperform other micro quads if it comes down to flying outdoors. I was rather impressed by its outdoor flying capabilities, even flying in wind.

However, agreed, be careful if the wind turns too much against you - it could cause some disappointment.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

Does the reduced power in sports mode result in random shakes that the eye one can't recover from in low to no wind maybe 20ft high?

Quote Originally Posted by runpaulone View Post
    Does the reduced power in sports mode result in random shakes that the eye one can't recover from in low to no wind maybe 20ft high?
    I just had the same experience at around 40 ft altitude with maybe 5mph winds in sports mode. It happened several times over the course of two ~6 minute flights. The first time the Eye One fell about 10 feet and I was able to recover. The last time I wasn't so lucky and broke the frame.

6. Reason
    Double post. One deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by runpaulone View Post
    Not that I know of. Personally I like to fly during light to mild wind conditions. In fact I did not have mine fly out of range.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Cheers,
    MatLi (Chris)

I would say there was no wind when I was flying. In sports mode it seems like there isn't enough power to recover as it's falling back to earth, but this might happen at low altitudes as well. Switched to expert mode and she soars... Right into a snow bank. Lol!

The trick when fighting a wind when the quad cant push through when going forward is to draft.

I do not have a RC logger unit yet, have learned to fly with other brands and contemplating to getting on soon.

I am able to fight considerable wind gusts of 10 and maybe more mph with an entry level brushed motor, although it takes some used to.

Fly the copter perpendicular to the wind, or with the wind and try to search for the draft , get some speed by going with the wind and immediately turn left or right on a wide circular pattern. I have been able to recover mine with this technique. When it starts banking left or right, whichever direction you went. It will come back with considerable speed. On some occassions I have to do this doing a few circular laps until it safely at a lower altitude and less susceptible to wind gusts.

The trick when fighting a wind when the quad cant push through when going forward is to draft.

I do not have a RC logger unit yet, have learned to fly with other brands and contemplating to getting on soon.

I am able to fight considerable wind gusts of 10 and maybe more mph with an entry level brushed motor, although it takes some used to.

Fly the copter perpendicular to the wind, or with the wind and try to search for the draft , get some speed by going with the wind and immediately turn left or right on a wide circular pattern. I have been able to recover mine with this technique. When it starts banking left or right, whichever direction you went. It will come back with considerable speed. On some occassions I have to do this doing a few circular laps until it safely at a lower altitude and less susceptible to wind gusts.